Sunday, May 23, 2010

Patient or not to be!

Sorry for the non-commercial break, friends!

I was 7 or 8 when I started getting dissatisfied with Indrajaal Comics. You expect a product to develop more nicely as it grows in experience and stature. Indrajaal was heading in opposite direction in my view. With due respect to all fans, I never did like Bahadur much. It was not the character but execution which put me off! I was thinking a new character would take Indrajaal to higher planes, but after looking at finished artwork of Barrymore on a few issues of Phantom and mercurial thin linings of Flash Gordon(Oh!), The crisscrossing lines of Bahadur held nothing within them which could teach me some new things, and stories had no 'Fantasy' ingredient in them, which I always sought!

I used to buy dip pens (which were used for medical drawings back then), and tried to copy works of Phantom as closely as I could, my favorite being 'The Promise of Zorro'! The flow in lines of Flash Gordon felt beyond me, the ease with which it embellished the beauty of Dale with few lines and smudges of black was absolutely amazing.

But even back then, some Indian works influenced me immensely, foremost being Inspector Eagle by Pradeep Sathe and Shuja by Shehab. But Sathe failed to impress me by his works in YOGI ADITYA, the last nail in the coffin of Indrajaal comics! It was too static and sparce! Mind you, all these feeling I am sharing are feelings of a 10 year old! Only now I could find appropriate words to express them!

Pardon me! I flew off handle while trying to share my feelings about Amar Chitra Katha.

That moment is still fresh in my memory when I saw my first Amar Chitra Katha, second issue by them perhaps, titled Veer Pandavas. I think 1st one was Krishna. Contrary to image you may conjure mentally, it was a book much read already, with its cover half torn and inside pages bearing pickle stains with their smell. All these points indicated that it was a much wanted much read book, even though it was hardly few months old! It was at my friends house and I borrowed it immediately without waiting for his approval or disapproval.

It had taste of India. The narrow-lined sketchy artwork, with illustrations in double colors, It was a treat to watch! I think it was drawn by great Mullick, with all mythological essence. Not only me, but whole India went mad about it. I had a big collection of Amar Chitra katha comics, Rukmini Parinay being my favorite. No one can match Great Mullick when it comes down to draw full voluptuous Indian female figures with sexuality covered with dignity. But slowly my enthusiasm weaned off. The editor inside me was taking over from my artist self.

It was not a comic, which is usually associated with sequential art, but an illustrated classic with panels connecting to each other with long captions and scenes jumping around. For me , comics were about fantasy! It was a long deviation from Indrajaal Comics.

I am still at a loss to know why we always try to fall back upon our mythologies in search for fantasy. We either copy west or our own past. But things always change with time and as in case of Indrajaal comics, my prophecies (known only to me) again came true, but they always took a longer time to arrive th

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir, not all that you say is comprehensible to me but a part of it, about the Indian style of illustration is something we could be nodding our heads in tandem for. That form of art, the appeal of which is so crude yet it bears an unexplainable sophistication. The warmth in the illustration and the peculiarity of strokes rejuvenates the spirit within, strolling you through the ages making one actually live every stroke inscribed.

    -Asit

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the reason why Indian Comics industry never matured and created originalw ork is lack of professionals. There is no comics market in Indian, that's why no body wants to be a comics professional.

    However, Times are changing and maybe in future we will see better and original comics art and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I would beg to differ from this school of thought in the manner that it would be highly in appropriate to say that there is 'no market for comic books in India'. There have been times when people have been voracious readers and comics addicts..its just that this trade in India, did not mature with respect to time, be it the context of art or story. By the time it was realized, the wester invasion was comparatively faster and more profound backing their comics with movies/animation merchandise.
    Even now..we are still so messed up with equating ourselves with our western counterparts that we have totally lost ourselves and the only hope we see lies in a twisting and doodling the rich mythology we boast of which already has been twisted beyond senile comprehension ;))

    ReplyDelete