Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Sand Of Time

I'm so happy, friends! Got some thought provoking reactions which shows that I am starting to succeed in initiating comic-crazies to think towards betterment of this classic form of expression!

Now back to the past, which incidentally never passed!

Amar Chitra Katha did one most fabulous thing to Indian Comics; It brought stalwarts of sketching to panel art. Mullick, Waerkar, Vitankar, Fernandes and so many of them! It also made many publishers realize that India is now ready for its own brand of comics with its own artists and own content!

The revolution started in North with Diamond comics at helm. But that was later. Before this happened, I had to jostle with my destiny to veer it from its course.

In March of 1972, I got admitted in class 7th in Central School , IIT, Kanpur. I used to be a brilliant but apprehensive student and School was a good 13 KM away from my residence, a huge distance for a city like Kanpur. Couple it with fact that I had a creative bent of mind and result becomes evident. This totally new environment took its toll and my downward slide began. By the time I passed 8th , it got worse. I just made it marginally to qualify for science stream (considered a mark for brilliancy)in class 9th . Nobody was more ashamed about me that I, myself. My apprehension was morphing into panic as now I had to compete with some of best brains of best school in the region! I told you I was apprehensive but I forgot to mention that I was equally proud of myself. Always was since I could remember. I believed in myself!

I picked up and picked well without any outside help. My aim was to become an engineer and by God I would have had, as I passed Higher Secondary with distinction in all subjects, but my destiny failed!

Since I got admitted, I was impressed by one of my 2 year senior, the flamboyant cartoonist Sukhwant Singh! He was an established cartoonist by then and competing with likes of Pran's SHRIMATI JI in Sarita magazine with his CHARAN DAS in Mukta magazine. My only contact with him was through regular cartoons he used to draw on School's bulletin Board.

I do not know whether it was his love of cartooning over formal studies or my destiny, but he could not clear 9th not once but twice; reasons being medical and technical and suddenly he was my classmate! I wager it was my destiny as he never failed to clear again! I instantly developed a rapport with him!

He led me to inside of commercial cartooning world and my first cartoon published in Mukta In 1974.

My 3 single paneled cartoons published successively and I received a cheque for Rs. 45.00 for my efforts.

It was not the money, but my acceptance in the world of cartooning!

My heart was already casting doubts over my earlier decision to become a technically qualified person; An engineer!

As for Great Sukhwant, he wrote Movers & Shakers and many other shows, currently writing the lines for Great Comedian Raju Srivastava!


 


 

2 comments:

  1. Sir, I can well understand and comprehend the apprehensions you would have gone through. I have been jostling with these emotions since a very long time now (since I was in 11th standard)..ever since my fine arts teacher at school pushed me to take up arts seriously and rested his hopes within me. Somehow, I could never take up studying arts formally until I met you for which im utmost thankful.

    Now, I am an enginner by the day spending at least 8 hours at office and 4 in commotion totally battered by the time I reach home.Every-time , each-time, when I decide to give-in,something within pushes, urges, not to stop. Those words from teachers and friends start rattling in my head and an unrest and chaos takes over and im up again,striving.
    Now this 'Chaos' is a part of me and I have learnt to live with it.To me Sir, you are the most cherish-able gift of my life..I have a lot to learn from you and a long way to go and thats my only relief to the Chaos within.

    ReplyDelete