Thursday, May 13, 2010

A JUVENILE EDITOR

Though India had comic strips even as back as in early 60's, those were syndicated western strips, later resized and published in comic format. that's why those had nothing like a title page and Cover's were invariably drawn by an Indian artist. those were the days when we were beginning to learn how to read a comic book, rather than how to produce one! I could still recall myself going through a Phantom's comic umpteenth times, flipping through panels after panels and finding jerks in the flow. I tried to fill the jerky spaces with my own captions or dialogues, as required and only after that I could have a satisfiable feeling! It was an absolute amateurish attempt to mend the works of Greats, but looking back now, I feel those were my earliest self-taught lessons in the field of sequential art, even though I wasn't aware that such a term even existed. I kept on reading TOI comic for next 10 years not only as a reader, but also as a self appointed editor. But it changed only as much as condition of lane in front of my residence with quality of Illustrations and stories riding a roller coaster.
Then one day, I laid my hand on a totally different looking double colored comic titled' VEER PANDAVAS by a brand new publications called Amar Chitra Katha!
Maybe things would change now! Wouldn't they?

1 comment: